Stress and mental or physical exhaustion
The foundation moves in Bowen therapy bring about deep relaxation in the mind and body.
It's not unusual to drift off into deeper brain wave states during a Bowen session.
In deep states of relaxation important chemical cascades take place that restore balance and well being. More information about the health benefits of this is available under " How does it work?"
People trying Bowen therapy for the first time are surprised to find it to be a gentle technique that can be more calming and effective than a massage in restoring balance in mind and body.
Pain relief and relief from discomfort
Bowen therapy has a good track record in assisting with a wide range of muscular and joint - ligament complaints and for helping with pain relief. These physical complaints include strains, tensions and mis-alignments.
These can give rise to:
- jaw and neck pain, including clicking jaws, teeth grinding
- back pain
- shoulder, arm and wrist problems, including tennis elbow, golfers elbow and repetitive strain injuries
- sciatica symptoms, hip pain and knee pain
- leg, knee and foot problems, including plantar fasciitis, bunions and hammer toes
Restoring health - balancing the body's immune, nervous and hormonal systems
Mental and physical stress (and stress from poor nutrition) are the drivers for a range of afflictions.
Bowen therapy assists with stress in the mind and body by giving the body's immune, nervous and hormonal systems an opportunity to re-balance.
Conditions that have been helped with Bowen therapy include
- respiratory problems such as asthma, upper respiratory tract problems, sinus and breathing restrictions (diaphragm tightness), hay fever, and coughs
- digestive problems, bowel problems, colic in babies, bloating, heartburn, nausea, liver, gall and pancreatic issues that lead to indigestion, constipation and stress related bowel problems
- hormonal problems - PMS, breast discomfort, fertility issues
- mental stress that brings on migraines, headaches, high blood pressure, neck tension, adrenal exhaustion and poor digestion
- balance problems, dizziness, Meniere's disease and blockages affecting hearing, tinnitus
- shock, grief and anxiety that disrupts wellness.
- childhood complaints such as bed-wetting
- heart and circulatory problems that give rise to angina
- nerve system symptoms such as tingling and numbness that are due to muscular tension and muscular pressure on nerves
Bowen therapy has a detoxifying effect on the body.
It can also assist with oedema and lymphatic drainage.
Overall Bowen therapy helps the body to activate its own healing responses towards health.